Discovering Ikot Ekpene City: A Glimpse into Nigeria’s Hidden Culture
1. The history of Ikot Ekpene
2. The people of Ikot Ekpene
3. The culture of Ikot Ekpene.
4. The traditions of Ikot Ekpene.
5. The religion of Ikot Ekpene.
Ikot Ekpene, also known as “raffia town,” is a well-known and notable town in the south-southern province of Akwa Ibom. It is widely regarded as a fortification of expressions. The city is named after the village of Ikot Ekpene, which was founded by ten families and has a long and illustrious history. It is the Annang ethnic group’s political and social capital in Nigeria (Nair, 1972).
The town is located on the A342 coast-to-coast highway, which connects Calabar to the south east and Aba to the west, with the state capital, Uyo, located immediately to the east. The following important town to the north is Umuahia. Kannan Nair, a well-known historian, was depicted.
Ikot Ekpene is known as a business center for the province, with remarkable commodities such as palm oil, bits, and raffia strands and wine, as well as ground harvests of sweet potatoes, cassava, taro, and corn. The Annang people make up the majority of the population, with a few Igbo traders and Hausa Suya merchants.
Container looping around, form, and, most notably, raffia stick furniture are all essential items (consequently the conversational name of the town). Although most residents of the area did not have direct contact with European brokers, whom they referred to as Mbakara, until the beginning of the twentieth century, it is widely acknowledged that European articles of exchange began contacting people in the seventeenth century.
In January 1904, Umoren Eyenobong (called as swordwearer by the Europeans) from Ukana arrived from Calabar and established a station there, holding Umoren Eyenobong (known as swordwearer by the Europeans) from Ukana responsible for the swift Annang people. Soldiers walked from Ikot Ekpene to Uyo, then to Abak and Opobo from there (presently Ikot Abasi). Ikot Ekpene proved to be significant for the Eyong District sometime between 1904 and 1910. Enyong District was split into two districts in 1914: Enyong and Ikot Ekpene. With the base camp for Ikot Ekpene town, the new Ikot Ekpene District paid tribute to Uyo and Abak (Akpan, 1967).By 1919, the town had become a regulatory center, allowing for more interaction with Europeans. Posts and positions were available in the listed organizations.
John Holt Cooperative Wholesale Society, Paterson Zochonos (PZ), G. B. Olivant, and the Compagnie Francaise de L’Afrique Occidentales are among the town’s stores. The establishment of these organizations resulted in a large-scale migration from the surrounding areas, transforming Ikot Ekpene into a vibrant city. The provincial organization built the major market in 1937, separating those selling imported European goods from those selling native goods. To accommodate the amount of meat, a butcher house was created.
The British sent troops in 1903, and a checkpoint known as Control Post was established at the town’s main entrance. The town was so important to the British that in the late 1920s, a proposed street connecting Owerri and Calabar was rejected.
The British chairmen abandoned the idea of building a road between Eket and Owerri to bring the town inside the circle (Nair, 1972). In 1951, it became the focus of a British investigation of local self-government. When James Udo Eka and Udosen Obot partnered at a Methodist school in Ikot Obong Edong, the popular Ibibio Welfare Union was born ( Noah, 1988).
The town became the seat of both the (Annang) Division and the (Ikot Ekpene) County Council under British rule. It is now a civil focus in the Akwa Ibom state. Ikot Ekpene, more than any other town, was impacted directly by the Biafrian national struggle. It had important military and political figures.
Both Biafrans and Nigerians recognize its value. During this bloody conflict, the town and the surrounding changed hands several times. Following the fight, the town’s redevelopment and state structure spurred approaches that overlooked the town’s historical significance, as the bulk of Annang pioneers were slain during the conflict.